Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Starting with Blanks

I start all of my wands with ethically gathered sticks and branches that I've cut to length. Most will be set onto a tray for baking at a low temperature in order to sterilize them, especially if the bark will be left on the sticks.


The ends may be carved, rounded, or left in the raw. Small branch off-shoots make great places to tie on thongs of leather with feathers, charms, or beads for an owner to create personal touches.







This image shows unfinished wands. Some keep the tree bark on, some are de-barked, and some have twists or a spiral created by a partner vine having grown around the branch, such as with the honeysuckle wand shown in this photograph.




Wood types shown on this page are white ash above, twisted honeysuckle, oak, pin oak. Because I craft with wood that Spirit brings my way, rather than cutting trees apart, availability of species varies a lot. I enjoy the extra challenge that adds to creative flow and, it gives Spirit a greater opportunity to work through me, reaching out to that someone in need of a special ritual tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merry Meet! You are welcome to leave a comment -- glad to hear from you! Comment moderation is on, so your comment will be posted later to share with others. Thank you!